EM Cosmetics has an exciting opportunity for a Product Development Manager. This position will be responsible for the product innovation pipeline, from product conception and formula to timeline management. The ideal candidate is excited and passionate about developing cosmetics and will be a key contributor to a growing indie beauty brand.
- Partner with Director to drive EM Cosmetics formula concept and innovation with a focus on the brand’s unique aesthetic and positioning.
- Distill founder’s ideas to achievable and innovative product concepts.
- Creation of Product Concept Decks to align internal team on
- Support cross-functional departments with robust Launch Presentations on, ingredients, usage, benefits, claims, etc.
- Conduct competitive analyses to make recommendations on development direction and identify whitespace in the market based on a 3-year rolling timeline (2023-2025).
- Scout and vet potential new domestic/ overseas formula manufacturers, while developing strong relationships with current supplier roster.
- Spearhead market, competitive, scientific & industry research relevant to development process.
- Responsible for creation of lab briefs and clear communication to suppliers on all details relating to final concept
- Cross Functional Partnership _Creative & Marketing
- Photo Color Correction with Creative to ensure shade accuracy.
- Copy Alignment with Marketing
- Photoshoot assistance onsite as needed.
- Lead Timeline and Project Management
- Build and manage project timelines to track key project milestones for review with Director.
- Closely communicate with overseas/domestic partners on sample approval process and production timelines.
- Troubleshoot and improve efficiencies through proactive recommendations of workflow improvements.
- Partner with Product Development Coordinator to follow up as needed to ensure all orders are being properly shipped and arriving on schedule
- Testing Panels
- Organize and conduct internal and external testing panels to capture feedback for development and launch consideration.
- Work with Regulatory Consultant in tandem with Filler on the following:
- Advise on Packaging Direction as it relates to compatibility/ functionality
- Assistance in high levels of stability reports for content or details that may impact regulatory review processes.
- IL Approval
- Initiate conversations on PET, RIPT and ocular testing strategy.
- Hard and Soft Product Claims on Secondary Packaging
- Assist with clinical substantiation process (hard claims)
- Advise high level on language (soft claims).
- Partner with Director on formula approval/ shade matching and evaluating lab samples and giving direction as needed.
- Work with Product Development Team and Marketing to ensure accurate and vivid product copy.
- Responsible for monitoring the total COG vs. budget through the product life cycle.
- Manage and negotiate product costs in line with competitive SRPs
- Attend trade shows as needed.
- Domestic and International travel as needed
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills & Experience:
- 4-5 years beauty product development experience
- 2 + years color cosmetic development experience.
- Skincare product development a plus
- Possess the ability to identify refined formulas and textures
- Strong project management skills
- Demonstrates a proactive approach to problem solving.
- Work experience at a Contract Manufacturer is preferred but not required.
- Possess a passion and curiosity for beauty
- Proficient in MS Office with emphasis in PowerPoint and Excel
- Strong attention to detail and analytical skills
- Possess a positive personality and the ability to work in a dynamic fast paced environment
- Able to collaborate with team and cross functional partners
- Can work independently as well as an active team player
- Self-starter and eager to learn
- Bachelor's Degree required
We are seeking an experienced & savvy Social Media Assistant. This position will be responsible for contributing to the growth, execution, and engagement, for EM Cosmetics.
Our ideal candidate is passionate about beauty and social media trends, and has strong experience directly creating on-brand social content to drive consideration, engagement, sales, and loyalty.
We are seeking a candidate that has a strong understanding of the social media and influencer space, especially in TikTok! This position is parti-time, Tuesday - Thursday at the EM Corporate Office in Los Angeles.
Community Growth & Engagement
- Engage, scale, and convert social media followers and fans.
- Expand community with daily listening, maintenance, community engagement/conversation, monitoring and issue escalation/response.
- Monitor trends in social media channels, tools, and metrics and appropriately apply that knowledge to increase the effectiveness of the program.
Content Development & Analysis
- Be the lead brand content creator for all social channels with an emphasis on TikTok
- Produce Social content ideas that are original, relatable, fun, and informational
- Develop innovative new ways for storytelling and driving EM’s point of difference
- Constantly seek and test new trends and platforms, to be early adopters and be digital pioneers in areas that are relevant for our consumer target
- Write copy and consistently deliver on-brand voice across all social platforms for each brand.
- Develop & maintain relationships with media influencers, platform partners, and key bloggers.
- Contribute to communications with influencer and ambassador seeding, outreach, collaboration negotiations, contracts, and related admin work.
- Connect influencers with brand launches, promotions, and paid initiatives.
- Minimum 2 years of social media content creation experience
- History of creating content that performed well with proven success
- Creative and innovative personality that is always thinking outside the box
- Attention to detail, responsible, and reliable.
- Flexible, organized, and strong experience in managing timelines and deliverables with efficiency.
- An eye for content that will drive community engagement
- Strong writing skills
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously and remain calm under pressure
- Available Tuesday – Thursday to work in Los Angeles
Submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
About EM Cosmetics
EM Cosmetics is a beauty brand founded in 2017 by the esteemed beauty guru Michelle Phan — to create an elevated and effortless experience whether you are a beauty novice or bonafide pro. The brand’s philosophy is to distill beauty into moments of self-care and uplifting moments to help people feel their best self, and be their own best makeup artist.